Hypersexuality,”Nymphomania” and “Satyriasis”
Hypersexuality is the elevated desire to engage in human sexual behavior at the level high enough for a person to be considered problematic and clinical significant concept of hypersexuality replaces the older concepts of nymphomania or (furor uterinus) and satyriasis. Nymphomania was believed to be a female psychological disorder characterized by an overactive libido and an obsession with sex. In male the disorder is called satyrias ( etymology of words, nymph ans satyr) Nymphomania and Satyrias are no longer listen in specific disorders in the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder, Fourth Edition). Though they remain a part of ICD-10, people who suffer from bipolar disorder often display tremendous swing in sex drive depending on their moods. Hypersexuality may be expressed during the period of mania or hypomania. Woman tend to be far more sexually provocative and seductive than their male counterparts. Many woman were reported as sexual intensity as “very much increase” during hypomania.
Hypersexual people are obsessed about sex and or can engage in sexual activities, often times their sexual drive is uncontrolled. They can have casual sex with random people which is very compulsive. This people been shown several traits that they are struggling with this bipolar disorder, for manic people they aren’t embarrassed talking about sex, flirtatious sexual behavior was a common symptoms in 30% of the prepubescent children and with mania and 60% of adolescent, mostly spend their time having phone sex or watching porn in the internet and many more related sexual activities. Hypersexuality may be the last frontier in bipolar disorder occurs about 25-80% with mania. Once this people were in their manic, there’s an increased need for sexual gratification and a decreased inhibition that leads into explicit or forbidden sex. They disregard their status and regardless of whom would they help them out with their urge. They seek for anyone who can fulfill their sexual needs. The most challenging and destructive part of bipolar disorder is troubling families and children from juvenile hypersexuality, making marriages failed, current relationship break ups and generating life-threatening health problems like of those sexual transmitted diseases. In some reported cases, bipolar disorder showing signs at age of as old as 40 years old and as young as 20 age below. Some of them already suffer and leave a demoralize life.
Some flirtation sexual behavior shown by a 10 year old boy:
1. Putting some music so that he can dig with older woman
2. Rub against or touch the chest of older woman.
3. Pat the butt of the stranger that he might meet along the way.
4. makes an overt sexual comments to his classmates or teacher.
5. Touching themselves of their teachers inappropriately.
- I remember I had a student before he about 9-10 years old and he is dealing with this disorder but I’m afraid that his parents are just taking it for granted. You can noticed in his notes and they way he talks were all filled with sexual contents and theirs a reported case in school that he is touching his female classmates chest.
- Bipolar disease can be treated to control the mania, person whose undergoing this must seek medical help from his/her health care provider or therapist.